Saturday, March 22, 2008

Apple May Start Giving Away Music?!

Photobucket

Apple Computers has announced that they're "looking into" possible set ups with iPod and iPhone prices that would include free music.

Apparently they're looking to maybe raise the price of the devices (aren't they expensive enough!?) to include the unlimited downloads. They may also be looking into the possibility of a "music subscription" for the iPhone.

I think this is a great idea. I'm all for paying a flat rate for all the music you want... but how do the record companies and artists make any money?

In one of the articles I read they said that Apple may pay labels that are involved up to $20 of the sale of a single iPod to cover the music. That's the average price of a single CD. I don't understand how they make any money.

I think the next step for Apple should be this: when you buy an album or a certain number of singles on iTunes, they should send you a burned CD, NetFlix style with that music on it, so you're getting both a hard copy and a digital copy. I think that would get them more sales. I myself prefer to buy the solid album rather than a digital one.

Look into that Apple!

To read more on the free music shiz, check out this Washington Post article.

No comments: